SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#143603 - 12/10/06 02:54 PM "Monitors/Speakers" for keyboard Question...
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Hello

Would like to know what kind of monitors, or speakers I could use for **HOME** use - connected to a "speaker-less" keyboard. I am thinking of getting a keyboard without speakers (G70/FantonX etc) and would like to know what people here think would be suitable for use keyboards like this?

I guess you "could" imagine I want a similar sound to a powerful arranger with speakers (Korg Pa1X/Roland E80 etc). Don't want them too big, or heavy, and price preferably around £300 (about $500ish)

I was recommended some Yamaha HS80M @ £370 a pair. I know were to look for these things - but wanted a "uses" opinion!.

TIA

AnthonyB

#143604 - 12/10/06 04:58 PM Re: "Monitors/Speakers" for keyboard Question...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Logitech Z-5500 will do everything you wish. www.logitech.com

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#143605 - 12/10/06 05:20 PM Re: "Monitors/Speakers" for keyboard Question...
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
As with all equipment, I definitely suggest that whatever you purchase, get it from someplace that has a 30 day return policy.

There are some that like the z5500's and some that don't. I have these speakers and use the sub only with my JBL mains. The sub will knock out the windows if you want it to. The satelites I only use at home somethimes when I leave my JBL's in the trunk of my car. Actually my keyboard sounds better through my stereo by a bunch.

They have a sound I just don't like. The best way I could describe them is having a small, shallow sound with absolutely no midrange. If they are blasting you right in the face they sound kind of good.

So not everyone has the same ears for sound. If you get them and you like them, good for you. If you get them and don't like them, then good for you too. Whatever works for your particular needs.

Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com

#143606 - 12/10/06 07:04 PM Re: "Monitors/Speakers" for keyboard Question...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
For HOME use I feel the Logitech Z5500 is over kill. (Opinion) I am using the Logitech Z2300, 2 small speakers and a sub. The cost was $99.00. I was lucky to get a $30 rebate. All the volume you will ever need for a home. The quality on a 1 to 10, I would say between 6 and 7.

As Gary knows the company is tops, I had a small problem and they replaced the complete system, no charge, and I did not have to return the original unit.

John C.

#143607 - 12/10/06 07:13 PM Re: "Monitors/Speakers" for keyboard Question...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Second post;

I use my laptop for all my info and some of my midi files so I have no need for the music rack.
I converted the units that hold the music rack on the keyboard to speaker holders. The sub sits under the front of my keyboard with a speaker pole attached, which supports my laptop.
Sound system and laptop support all in one, with one speaker attached at either side/back of the keyboard. Neat.

John C.

#143608 - 12/10/06 11:35 PM Re: "Monitors/Speakers" for keyboard Question...
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello AnthonyB
I see from your profile a UK web address, if you are indeed in the UK try www.bck.co.uk (Look under accessories) and you will find a couple of systems designed for playing keyboards in the home.
If you want a more professional speaker system have a look at the SR speaker systems distributed by Big Cat Audio www.srtechnology.co.uk which should suit your requirements. (The Club series would probably suit you best)
At the UK Keyboard Festivals most of the Keyboard manufactures use SR speaker systems for demonstration purposes.
Hope this helps

Bill

#143609 - 12/10/06 11:55 PM Re: "Monitors/Speakers" for keyboard Question...
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Behringer powered monitors perhaps: http://www.behringer.com/B2031A/index.cfm?lang=ENG

#143610 - 12/11/06 04:30 PM Re: "Monitors/Speakers" for keyboard Question...
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks alll, will consider all the above, plus some. Don't want all "boom and treble" - but plenty of mid range too.

cheers

AnthonyB)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online